In this course, we will learn how to use the current ZFS capabilities to help us build a home file server using FREEBSD 10.3.
Course launching date: 06th of July 2016
What will you learn?
- ZFS administration
- ZFS concepts and features
What skills will you gain?
- ZFS administration basics
What do you need?
- FREEBSD 10.3 with root privileges
- At least 10 GB free space
What should you know before joining?
- Basic FREEBSD administration knowledge
Module 1: FREEBSD and ZFS
Introduction to ZFS under FREEBSD
- Why ZFS on FREEBSD?
- ZFS features and concepts
Module 1 exercises:
- Execute ZFS commands to check status of pools and metadata
- Create a single disk pool
Module 2 title: ZFS Administration
Module 2 description: Cover the commands and features to administrate ZFS volumes
- Create, destroy, list pools
- Zpools: single, mirrored, raid
- Understand ZFS properties
Module 2 exercises:
- Get and set properties
- Set Disk Quotas
Module 3 title: Putting it all to work: Hosting our files using ZFS
Module 3 description: With the previous acquired knowledge, create a plan on how to organize our files and pools to host our files.
- Set ZFS properties based on the content of the files to host
- ZFS tuning
- Create a File Server using our pools
Module 3 exercises:
- Explore ZFS features using hosted content on a pool
- Serving content
- Check ZFS performance