Our extra package contains 6 ebooks of advanced knowledge on FreeBSD OS.
Inside you will find about 500 pages of FreeBSD secrets and tricks!
Support the BSD Magazine to read more free issue online.
Inside you will find following issues:
How to Build a FreeBSD Kernel Module From Scratch Course Ebook
This course ebook includes all materials from the course entitled How to Build a FreeBSD Kernel Module From Scratch which was designed to help you understand how the userland communicates with the kernel through an existing example, studying the workflow; hence in the end you would be able to extend it or writing one of your own. In this course ebook, you will have a wide overview about FreeBSD kernel structure, some useful kernel options, its debugging possibilities and how to build your own in order to add new features. Indeed, FreeBSD is already shipped with a significant amount of features, but if needed it is very possible to develop new ones and to integrate them into the system like all other modules; FreeBSD is Open Source and it is a great chance for its users. You will learn …
- General overview of the FreeBSD system structure via its source codes, the possible kernel options, its debugging tools. At the end of the session, some exercises will be included for the student about the kernel itself.
- Building a first basic kernel module. At the end of the session, the student will make their first kernel module, compile it and test it.
- Overview of ipfw2. At the end of the session, the student ought to be able to see the relation between the userland side and the kernel side and how they both interact.
- Building a kernel module for adding ipfw2’s new feature. At the end of the session, the student has to provide a new feature of their own to ipfw2.
Practical Python – Workshop eBook
This is the most comprehensive course for the Python programming language. If you want to start programming or if you want to learn about the advanced features of Python, this course is for you! In this course we will teach you:
- understanding python and how to install it.
- understanding python virtual environments.
- using the interpreter and running a python script.
- advanced text editors for coding.
- understanding basic python data types.
- knowing what classes are and how to use them.
- understanding exceptions and know how to handle them.
- knowing how to get data from a publicly accessible API.
- understanding the concept of duck typing.
- understanding how files work.
- understanding the csv python module to read/write csv files.
- anding how to hit API’s to get information.
- understanding how data should be structure to feed plot module.
- using python plotting library.
DevOps with Chef on FreeBSD Workshop eBook
This training class teaches the tools, best practices and skills to automate your FreeBSD servers. Training will be loaded with practical real world tools and techniques. This training will send you back to work with immediately useful hands on experience to implement Devops in your IT projects.
In this course we will teach you:
- Learn what Devops is and its importance.
- Learn to leverage infrastructure automation using the leading configuration management tool: Chef.
- How it’s changing the industry.
- Transform IT from an unpredictable environment to a stable, repeatable and scalable environment.
- Integrating configuration tools into the IT workflow.
Using FreeBSD as a File Server With ZFS – Workshop eBook
You do not know how to get started and configure a working home server. Learn how to use the current ZFS capabilities to help us build a home file server using FREEBSD 10.3. In this course we will teach you:
- ZFS administration.
- ZFS concepts and features.
Deploying an Office / Workgroup Server on FreeBSD – Workshop eBook
Using FreeBSD as a server for common office task is easy and an approachable task even for users without extensive knowledge of its internals. In this course we will teach you:
- how to bring up a functioning server for a small office or workgroup.
- a small web server.
- e-mail with Postfix for SMTP.
- Dovecot for IMAP and RoundCube for the “webmail” user interface.
- Samba for local file sharing (CIFS / Windows Networking / Network neighbourhood).
- Pydio for remote file access over the web.
Application Debugging and Troubleshooting – Workshop Ebook
In this workshop you will see real life situations, where debugging skills will save you time, headaches and possibly find a solution with minimal amount of effort.
Debugging/Troubleshooting is a really useful skill when you are working in maintaining legacy applications, doing some small incremental changes to an old code base, where the code has been touched by so many hands over the years and it is becoming really a mess. So, management has decided that the code works as it is and you are not allowed to change it all over “the right way ™”.
- Introduction to the GDB debugger
- Advanced inspection of data structures and variables
- Introduction to the JDB debugger
- Working with core dumps in GDB
- Introduction to Dtrace
Ewa & The BSD Team