As you can read in our previous blog post, OpenBSD Foundation raised more than they have been planning to. FreeBSD Foundation isn’t doing that great, so please, support them as soon as possible! The year is almost over, so there is not much time left to help them financially on upcoming projects.
The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)3, United States based, non-profit organization that is committed to supporting and building the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. The Foundation is funded entirely by donations.
We fund and manage projects, sponsor FreeBSD events, Developer Summits and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers. We provide and help maintain computers and equipment that support FreeBSD development and improvements. We also represent the Project in executing contracts, license agreements, copyrights, trademarks, and other legal arrangements that require a recognized legal entity.
See below for more about why we use the services we do, and how we use your generous donations to support the Project.
Where does your contribution go?
Donations that The FreeBSD Foundation receives are used for funding various activities to support the FreeBSD Project like:
- Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and developer community, including contract development of critical system infrastructure, and porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM).
- Obtaining computers and other equipment for developers to use toward improving FreeBSD, such as the network performance cluster, FreeBSD.org cluster, and personal development systems for developers.
- Providing additional Internet infrastructure to aid in the development and distribution of FreeBSD.
- Support developer communication and coordination, including financial support for developer summits, conferences, and developer travel.
- Encouraging the formation of FreeBSD user groups.
- Cultivating press coverage and advertising the utility and availability of FreeBSD.
- Represent the FreeBSD Project in executing contracts, license agreements, copyrights, trademarks, and other legal arrangements that require a recognized legal entity.
The Foundation’s fund-raising efforts are essential to keeping FreeBSD free. As the Project grows, so do the costs.
By donating to the foundation, you are helping us fund and manage projects, sponsor FreeBSD events, and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers. You are also helping us represent the Project in executing contracts, license agreements, copyrights, trademarks, and other legal arrangements that require a recognized legal entity.
Why We Use the Different Online Services
We provide three choices for donating online. Here is an explanation of the different services and why we offer them.
The Click & Pledge service gives us added features that the other online services do not support. More importantly, it automatically integrates with our donor database, allowing us to spend more time helping the FreeBSD Project! You can make monthly, quarterly, or yearly donations automatically with this service. Click & Pledge allows you to add 2.75% to your donation to cover our cost of using this service. We have also added fields to allow you to tell us what projects you’d like us to fund as well as give us any feedback you’d like.
PayPal is probably the most popular for our donors. The features are limited for us. But, they only charge us for each transaction, so there is no cost to keeping this option available.
By popular request, we’ve also added the Bitcoin option. As mentioned above, it may take up to 5 days for Bitcoin donations to appear on the donor page.
If you do not want to make your donation online, you can still mail us a check or wire-transfer funds to our bank.
More info on FreeBSD Foundation web page.